Tuesday 30 April 2013

TrimmingsAndLace : Accessorizing 101

With hordes of options and alternatives thronging the store selves, picking accessories has become easier. Stores these days allow you to be the Alibaba and float around in the mystical cave where treasures galore. This however is a double-edged sword because with so many options to choose from, it has become even easier to go wrong. 
Accessorizing an outfit is entirely subjective and comes with no baggage of rules. In magazines and catalogues you’ll see no accessories being worn to complete over-accessorizing and everything in between. But for someone like you and me who have classes and meetings to attend, a 9am deadline to meet, projects to complete or maybe kids to send to school and settle for household chores, some accessorizing basics can go a long way in making a look stylish and tasteful.

How I accessorize my outfits completely depends on my mood and instinct. But looking back I do feel there are some principles that I have followed inherently and some which I have developed over the course of time. 

CONTRAST


                                                                                

While colour-blocking has been a huge trend over the past two years, I feel that a stylish contrast rarely goes out of style. For those of you, who have followed my blog long enough (Thank you for that!) you must be aware of my love or rather my basic instinct to contrast. If you are someone who is good with colours, this indeed comes naturally to you. So, while accessorizing combining a red with blue, orange with navy or mint with fuchsia is easy and always seems to work. A cobalt dress worn with an orange clutch, a white shirt with a bright floral scarf, a green shirt and a hot-pink neckpiece are some style ideas that help you transform your outfit into a look.  However, the rule here is to keep the contrast subtle. In-your-face, loud contrasts are best reserved for theme parties or Halloween alone! 


STATEMENT


         

I am a staunch believer in statement pieces. These can be in the form of the jewellery I wear, clothes, scarves and belts or shoes and bags. To make a statement, you only need one piece ensuring that it remains the central focus of your look while lending coherence to the entire ensemble. If I know my outfit is bold enough to make a statement, I try and keep the accessories very minimal or add underlying elements of gold or silver to my outfit. On the other hand, if my outfit is rather basic say jeans and a T-Shirt, I would accentuate it with my jewellery, shoes or bag. Remember, less is always more when it comes to accessories. 


STRUCTURE


                                           

I don’t know how many of you would agree with me on this, but I was once casually drawn into a discussion on how important belts are to an outfit. It was one styling lesson I took very seriously and have stuck with it since then. Whether it is my jeans, trousers, dresses, tunics or tops – whenever the need be – I do wear a belt. Structuring your outfit with the help of a belt or a scarf not only breaks the monotony of the garment but also allows you to reflect and hold strong your feminine side. 


TRENDS


          

Fashion, trends, styling ideas all are a dynamic world in its own. They are constantly changing and evolving. There are newer trends and variations to wear them. However, the degree, amount and manner in which you incorporate the same in your outfits are very subjective. For example, stacking up jewellery pieces such as cuffs, bracelets, neck-pieces and rings has been a huge trend. Being introduced on the Spring/Summer 2012 runways this trend has been completely unstoppable. If you are like me and want to take baby steps with this trend start by layering fine silver or gold chains. Keep them of varying lengths to create maximum impact and add on different kinds of pendants to keep up the fun element. 


TEXTURES


                    

It’s only until recently that I discovered how impactful subtle variations in your outfit can be. My latest affection has been to wear accessories in the same colour and undertones as my outfit. This technique helps create different dimensions to the outfit and is a perfect way to wear even your boldest accessories the understated way. It also helps in keeping the look somewhat formal and professional. Hence ideal for work wear.  



I hope there is something for each one of you to take away from these ideas. The best always is to explore your style and instincts and follow them to rank higher on the style quotient. If that’s a task, Coco Chanel’s, “Always remove one thing before going out the door” works without fail. 

Don't forget to join me on Instagram - @trimmingsandlace. Also, do check out the latest from The TrimmingsAndLace Collection - Limited Edition! (here)




Thank you for stopping by...
Love
Agam






                                                                   
 





3 comments:

  1. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be just what I'm looking for.
    Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself?
    I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome site!

    my webpage; Aksesoris Wanita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....you've categorized the looks & styles so nicely!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your style! and completely agree with you on the accessorizing bit..once can make the same outfit look ifferent with the help of different accessories!

    www.thetimesofmanyphases.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete